Monday 1 March 2010

Platonic Love

I regularly have engrossing debates with one of my best friends about the existence of Platonic love. I don't think we have arrived to an agreement as yet. She says that girls and guys can be friends without any desire to get into an intimate relationship. I believe that it really does not matter how you meet. At some point of time people will wonder whether your friend can be a potential partner or not get attracted to her. Plato believed that there were levels of love. These levels need not include physical love. This idea is the origin of the word Platonic love.
Philos is the Greek word for love that is used to describe the love you have for your friends. Eros is the appreciation of beauty in a person. This need not be sexual in nature. Then you have Agape. This involves loving a person to such an extent that you are willing to lay down your life for a person. Interestingly the Greeks had just one Goddess of love. 
She has been my friend for more than ten years now. Somehow we know what the other is thinking or when we need the other no matter in which part of the globe we are. Can such a relationship be defined? If I knew the answer then I guess I would not be writing this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

-- Sent from my Palm Pre


No comments:

Post a Comment